York Student Health

Key Contacts

999 is for emergencies only. Stay calm when you call and tell the operator exactly where you’re ringing from.

The operator will ask some questions, such as if the injured person is breathing, is conscious, is bleeding seriously or is having persistent chest pain.

It’s important that the ambulance can find you quickly. You may need to ask someone to wait for the ambulance crew outside. If you are in halls of residence you should let reception staff (or Security at the University of York) know that you need/have called an ambulance.

NHS 111

Call 111 when you need medical help but it’s not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.


If you have a serious health problem you should visit the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department at your local hospital. Examples include:

  • Head injuries
  • Severe breathing difficulties
  • Broken or suspected broken bones

A&E is found at York District Hospital on Wigginton Road. If the medical problem is not an emergency then please see your GP, or see details about the Minor Injuries Unit below if the problem requires urgent attention but is not life-threatening. For any other hospital care you will need to be referred by your doctor/ GP.

Walk-in Centre/ Minor Injuries Unit

The Urgent Care Centre has replaced the previous Walk-in Centre in York. The Urgent Care Centre is located in the emergency department of York District Hospital. You should attend the Urgent Care Centre if you have a minor illness or injury that requires urgent medical attention or advice.

Doctor/ GP

Your doctor or general practitioner (GP) should be your first point of contact when you have a health problem or are feeling unwell. GPs will assess your problem, offer advice and treatment and sometimes refer you for further treatment or investigation.
Your doctor will have emergency appointments during working hours and will offer an out of hours service should you fall ill overnight or at the weekend. Contact your doctor's surgery for details.


Pharmacists (sometimes called chemists) are experts in medicines and how they work. They dispense your prescriptions, provide a range of services related to specific health issues and can give advice on medication and assess minor ailments. You don’t need an appointment and many pharmacies are open longer than GP surgeries.

Self Care

There's a lot you can do to help minor injuries or illnesses at home. It is recommended to have a basic first aid kit at home, which should contain most things necessary for minor injury or illness.

For emotional problems, if you are feeling like you are struggling to cope or feel down for longer than you expect, make an appointment with a professional.

Jump to top