York Student Health

Entitlement for NHS care

Entitlement for NHS care

You will be entitled to NHS treatment if you are in one of these groups:

  • You ordinarily reside in the UK (not usually the case for incoming international students)
  • You are studying full-time for a course of at least 6 months duration
  • You are from a country in the European Economic Area (or Switzerland) and carry a valid European Health insurance Card (EHIC) even if you are here for less than 6 months
  • You are from one of the “reciprocal countries” given above, even if you are here for less than 6 months

If you are here for less than 6 months, you are only eligible for treatment of conditions that first occur when they are in the UK, providing it is considered to need immediate treatment, and cannot be left until returning home.

  • Any children with you have exactly the same entitlement as you
  • Generally if a partner arrived in the UK at the same time as you, and is staying for the full length of your course, they will have the same entitlement as you. Some visas do not allow this though, so it is worth checking when you go for healthcare treatment for the first time.

Even if you are entitled to NHS services, you will still have to pay for appropriate services such as prescriptions.

Jump to top