York Student Health

How to register with a doctor

You can find your nearest doctor's surgery using this NHS tool

For University of York and York St John University students the most convenient surgery will be on campus. On arriving at university, the doctor's surgery will provide registration forms and will be able to assist you in filling them in.

As part of the form you will have to provide:

  • your name and address
  • your date of birth
  • your NHS number (if you know it)
  • the name and address of your previous doctor
  • proof of your identity (in some cases)

There may be more than this but the form should be quite easy to fill out. You will be registered with the doctor's surgery, rather than an individual doctor (GP). You can request to see a specific GP when you make an appointment but this might lengthen your wait to get an appointment.

A GP must provide any treatment which is immediately necessary in an emergency, even if you are not registered with them.

Your medical records from your previous doctor's surgery will be sent to the new practice.

If you want to see a GP and are visiting an area for more than 24 hours but less than three months, you can apply to register with a doctor's surgery as a temporary resident. This can be done at the surgery. This is particularly important for students who fall ill when going home during university vacations, as your old doctor's surgery will now be temporary for you.

Jump to top