York Student Health

Travel Advice Services

Travel Advice Services

Anyone intending to travel outside of Northern and Central Europe, Australia and North America should visit their doctor at least a month before the journey in order to establish if any vaccinations are required.

If you have forgotten or are travelling last minute you can still benefit from being seen up to the day before leaving.

At your appointment you will be asked about destinations, travelling methods and accommodation. This is to make sure the right level of vaccination is given to you.

A course of vaccinations, anti-malarial tablets and a basic medical kit may be prescribed.

If you suffer from a long-term illness, medical advice prior to travel is essential. Medication should be carried in hand luggage, in case your suitcase gets lost, with perhaps another set in your case for safety. You should carry contact details for your doctor and details of your medication.

Take comprehensive travel insurance out as medical care abroad may be expensive. If good quality care is not available, health insurance should cover transport costs home to the UK for treatment. A copy of the insurance certificate should be carried in hand luggage.

If you have returned from abroad and think you may have picked up an illness when you were away, you should make an appointment with your doctor.

Government travel information can be found here.

For travel within the European Economic Area, in addition to travel insurance, you should carry a valid E111 European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This can be used to cover any necessary medical treatment due to either an accident or illness.

Jump to top