York Student Health

Mental Health/Counselling Services

Therapy can help you explore your feelings and discover what lies behind whatever seems troubling or confusing. It may not ‘solve’ your problem but it can go some way to allow things to improve further down the line by providing helpful coping strategies.

If you have mental health concerns, you can go and see your GP. Under normal circumstances, the discussions you have with your counsellor or practitioner will be completely confidential. Nothing will normally be passed to anyone else eg. doctor, tutors without your written permission.

If you are a student at the University of York the Open Door Team is a main point of contact if you are experiencing emotional, psychological or mental health difficulties.

Within each college there are also tutors who live in and provide a friendly face - these are people you can always approach with any difficulties. They act as ‘welfare watchdogs’: providing low-level support to students who encounter everyday personal difficulties, and playing a key role in identifying more serious issues which may need to be escalated.

The Junior Common Room Committees within each college have welfare representatives. You can find out who yours are by visiting the site for your college.

If you are studying at York St John University and need support with any psychological or mental health difficulties then contact the Wellbeing Team based in the Holgate Student Centre.

If you are a student at York College and experiencing problems the college Counselling service can provide support.

If you are a student at Askham Bryan College and would like to speak to someone confidentially, contact student support in the first instance on 01904 772222.

For all university students, Nightline is an anonymous and confidential service, providing a safe environment for you to discuss what's on your mind. The service is run by students who volunteer their time for the benefit of the wider student community.

For mental health concerns, you can also get in touch with MIND. Further information can be found at Mind Your Head and Student Minds

Jump to top